English
 
Privacy Policy Disclaimer
  Advanced SearchBrowse

Item

ITEM ACTIONSEXPORT
 
 
DownloadE-Mail
  The depositional flux of meteoric cosmogenic 10Be from modeling and observation

Deng, K., Wittmann, H., von Blanckenburg, F. (2020): The depositional flux of meteoric cosmogenic 10Be from modeling and observation. - Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 550, 116530.
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsl.2020.116530

Item is

Basic

show hide
Item Permalink: https://gfzpublic.gfz-potsdam.de/pubman/item/item_5003130 Version Permalink: https://gfzpublic.gfz-potsdam.de/pubman/item/item_5003130_2
Genre: Journal Article

Files

show Files
hide Files
:
5003130.pdf (Postprint), 2MB
 
File Permalink:
-
Name:
5003130.pdf
Description:
-
Visibility:
Private (embargoed till 2021-08-31)
MIME-Type / Checksum:
application/pdf
Technical Metadata:
Copyright Date:
-
Copyright Info:
-
License:
-

Locators

show

Creators

show
hide
 Creators:
Deng, Kai1, Author              
Wittmann, H.1, Author              
von Blanckenburg, F.1, Author              
Affiliations:
13.3 Earth Surface Geochemistry, 3.0 Geochemistry, Departments, GFZ Publication Database, Deutsches GeoForschungsZentrum, ou_146037              

Content

show
hide
Free keywords: -
 Abstract: Meteoric cosmogenic 10Be is a powerful tracer to quantify dates and rates of Earth surface processes over timescales of 103-105 yrs. A prerequisite for its applications is knowledge of the flux at which 10Be, produced in the atmosphere, is delivered to the Earth surface. Four entirely independent approaches are available to quantify this flux: 1) General Circulation Models (GCM) combined with 10Be production functions and aerosol dynamics; 2) 10Be in precipitation collections; 3) 10Be inventories in dated soil profiles; 4) riverine 10Be exported in solid and dissolved forms. We compiled and reprocessed published globally distributed 10Be flux data from each of these methods and compared them with each other after normalization to a common atmospheric production rate. Based on precipitation records, we propose a simple framework to discriminate between two delivery effects on 10Be fluxes. In the additive effect water vapor and 10Be are continuously accumulating during long-distance transport, leading to an increase in 10Be flux with precipitation rate. In the dilution effect, the 10Be flux is delivered from proximal vapor sources, limited by the rate of 10Be introduction from the stratosphere and independent of precipitation rate. Both effects are mostly present in combination, and the relative weight of either effect depends on vapor condensation rate and on the ratio of vapor condensation area to precipitation area. A comparison between precipitation-derived fluxes and GCM-derived fluxes shows that half of the precipitation estimates are >2 times greater than GCM-derived fluxes. By comparison, soil- and GCM-derived fluxes agree within a factor of 2 for more than half (∼57%) of the dataset, and the remaining soil estimates (∼43%) are much lower than GCM-derived fluxes. 71% of 10Be flux estimates from riverine export using 10Be (meteoric)/9Be ratios also agree with GCM-derived fluxes within a factor of 2. We explain the precipitation-derived fluxes that commonly exceed all other estimates by short-term stochasticity in precipitation events that might introduce a measurement time-interval bias towards higher fluxes. This bias is not present over longer-term (103-105 yrs) flux estimates like those from soil profiles. Soil-derived fluxes might still present an underestimation when retention of 10Be in soil is incomplete. We recommend producing more 10Be depositional flux data from soil inventories with full Be retention, as these generate in our view the most relevant estimates for applications of meteoric 10Be on millennial-scale Earth surface processes.

Details

show
hide
Language(s): eng - English
 Dates: 2020-08-312020
 Publication Status: Finally published
 Pages: -
 Publishing info: -
 Table of Contents: -
 Rev. Type: -
 Identifiers: DOI: 10.1016/j.epsl.2020.116530
GFZPOF: p3 PT3 Earth Surface and Climate Interactions
 Degree: -

Event

show

Legal Case

show

Project information

show

Source 1

show
hide
Title: Earth and Planetary Science Letters
Source Genre: Journal, SCI, Scopus, p3
 Creator(s):
Affiliations:
Publ. Info: -
Pages: - Volume / Issue: 550 Sequence Number: 116530 Start / End Page: - Identifier: ISSN: 0012-821X
ISSN: 1385-013X
Other: Elsevier
CoNE: https://gfzpublic.gfz-potsdam.de/cone/journals/resource/journals99